Back to All Events

2018-19 Season Strapper Comp #1


Surf pumped all day and everyone got some sick waves! Check out the clip.


Spot B was all time this morning until the weather hit it. Looking gooooooood for tomorrow morning. We have to beat a dying swell and high tide so we are going to need to try to start on dark. First heat in the water is Open B now at 6am! Groms comp is on standby with the chance to run by midday so come on down to follow the big dogs and we’ll see if we can run your heats there too on the beachies.


OK legends, first comp scheduled for this weekend and we are already a chance to have to shift the Groms due to too much swell. If we get really lucky though and run the Main Comp on Saturday it might be small enough to run on Sunday at Little Raffs so stay tuned over the weekend to social media.

windand swell comp1.png

Strong westerly winds all weekend so 13th is out. Weather looking terrible for Saturday too but if the wind is OK for Banny early, we will try to get a start and run some heats so stay tuned for the call between 6.30 and 9am.


The most likely scenario is that Banny will still be big enough Sunday and when the winds and weather is forecast to be better. As per every swell though this winter, it has a westerly direction to it so even if its solid on the open beaches it might not fill in where we need it to. As with any other comp, please remember it’s at your own risk but especially with this Saturdays likelihood of being SOLID, only paddle out if you are sure you can handle it.

In the event that it is SOLID then we might run Junior U18s but probably not Cadet U16s.


The plan is to run 8 comps, one per month (with the exception of January – not counting Australia Day Retro comp). 5 comps count towards rankings points so that’s 3 throwaways to be flexible if you are away for a few.

Backup dates for Strapper Comp #1 are Late September, Early October.

Earlier Event: March 10
Quiksilver Comp #5
Later Event: October 13
Grom and Junior Coaching Session 1